On November 20, 2018, the Tacoma City Council passed the Rental Housing Code providing protections for tenants and specific guidance to landlords who operate residential rental businesses in Tacoma. The Rental Housing Code also includes a provision for housing relocation assistance to qualifying tenants and allows the City to investigate complaints and enforce the code.
The City of Tacoma’s Tenant Information Packets are now available for download on the City of Tacoma web page located at https://www.cityoftacoma.org/cms/one.aspx?pageId=163295. The packet includes:
- Summaries of TMC 1.95, RCW 59.18, TMC 1.29 and TMC 2.01, which must be distributed to all current tenants within thirty (30) days of February 1, 2019, when the code went into effect.
- Resource pages landlords are required to give to tenants with any notice under RCW 59.12 and TMC 1.95.
Download the Guide for Landlords and Tenants Information Packet
New Requirements for Landlords:
- 120-day notice to vacate and relocation assistance for low-income tenants when a landlord intends to change the use, substantially rehabilitate, or demolish a dwelling unit
- 60-day notice to vacate for no-cause termination of tenancy
- 60-day notice requirement for rent increases
- A requirement that landlords distribute information about tenant rights as well as landlord and tenant
New Tenant Protections:
- Prohibits retaliation against tenants for exercising their rights under the Washington State Residential Landlord-Tenant Act (RCW 59.18, RLTA)
- Allows installment payments for various deposits and fees
- Codification of relocation assistance when the City declares a building uninhabitable
- Provides relocation assistance for qualifying termination of tenancy of low-income tenants
- Allows tenants to file a complaint and for the City of Tacoma to investigate and enforce the code
Here are several helpful links related to City of Tacoma Rental Housing Code (TMC 1.95)
- Summary of the City of Tacoma’s Rental Housing Code (TMC 1.95. RHC) *** handbook
- Washington State Residential Landlord-Tenant Act (RCW 59.18, RLTA),
- City of Tacoma Fair Housing Laws (TMC 1.29) : https://www.cityoftacoma.org/government/city_departments/equity_and_human_rights/human_rights/fair_housing/
- Minimum Buildings and Structure Code (TMC 2.01)
- Website address to the Washington Secretary of State for the purposes of registering to vote
or changing address if already register to vote:
*** Please note that City and State laws may not be identical on any particular topic; therefore, both sets of laws should be consulted. This handbook is for general educational and informational use only. It is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. If you have a specific